Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Provincial landscape

I know a reader who's off to Madrid, and one who's already in Praz-de-Fort. Immediately, as a farmer, I think of what grows there, and what it looks like in perspective. As an oenophile, I spontaneously think of what goes with it, and enjoy contrarian pairings to unearth its telling secrets. Everywhere that colour and texture flicker, and weave resiliently with scent, we are a traveler, a visitor even at home. We scratch the surface to get to the bot-tom of things. What is a student of freckles, who does not marvel at the physics of their distribution, the chemistry of their emergence, their absorption of his awe that they can take him distant places, even as he sleeps.














Fabienne Verdier
Guan (La contemplation)
Oil on Linen, 2002©



2 comments:

  1. My Dear Laurent, as a farmer's son I too have a great thirst of knowledge for what grows where and how. Travels always see me looking at various specimens of flora and comparing in my mind to what I know.

    Something else that we have in common!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's really such a natural orientation, as are the comparisons. As to freckles, there's the fact that their harvest is illusory; right away you check on the next day, and there they are. Quite impressive.

    ReplyDelete