Sunday, October 9, 2011

Beggars





    That was a small lesson I learned on the journey.
    What is interesting and important happens mostly
    in secret, in places where there is no power. 
    Nothing much of lasting value ever happens at the
    head table, held together by familiar rhetoric.
    Those who already have power continue to glide
    along the familiar rut they have made for themselves.



Whatever we did had 
no possibility of permanence.








Michael Ondaatje
The Cat's Table
Knopf, 2011©





3 comments:

  1. This is brilliant, Laurent. I am going to collect this book at the airport!! Canadian and all, eh!? tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - an excellent selection and another addition to my already out-of-control reading list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Canadian and all," indeed. I wish a gentle and genial Thanksgiving to you both, T and D.

    ReplyDelete