Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Origins of Wednesday lxxviii: Counting on time





I've had the same second thoughts
as many about one's position in a
society at tooth and nail with it-
self over the abduction of the Am-
erican republic by a horde of Vis-
igoths in Republican cloth coats -
as Richard Nixon famously defended
the marauders in mink who financed
his character-assassinating career.

But my second thoughts are swollen
with regret at the frenzy of imita-
tion dissent is exhibiting, now-a-
days, against his heirs in office.
For me the McCain funeral was the
corkscrew on a very corked vintage
of wine. It stank of hideous rec-
titude, gone mythical and popular.

I've begun to hold my powder more
closely now, for the power of the
printed word, over time. I think
more highly than ever of the his-
torical temperament in which many
of us were raised; and I know, I
cannot expect to see its judgment
on our time. But I have never had
an inclination to find a frenzy I
could join, and I'm fortunate (by
mere accident) to have read widely
in the vehemency genre which is
this continent's chronic tone of
voice. I feel the present govern-
ment should be replaced. I have
not discovered a successor that
warrants assuming its degree of
power. There, certainly, I will
always be. Not enamored of power,
and wary of its constant excuses.






















No comments:

Post a Comment