Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Itinerants




From time to time, a posting here
or there has referenced the college
town down the road, to acknowledge
some passing influence of its pres-
ence. Now I find myself moving res-
idence into that setting, and must
soon interrupt publication to give
attention to this project. I almost
wish I had the habit of relocation
which was so much the touchstone of
my own academic years, particularly
as it pertains to moving a shelf or
20 of books. It's daunting enough,
to challenge an English dog to de-
fend premises unfamiliar as his own.

Without warning, then, by thoughtful
composition, I do foresee a break of
a few days, within a few days. I do
not think the next enclosure will
disrupt the tone of what goes on in
this setting; Thorny will still be
Thorny, and rmbl, rmbl. I might not
be composing these entries over my
left shoulder, however, as I've done
before, but I think I'll try. An at-
tempt just made to gaze to the right
felt distinctly unnaturally strained.
They must probably see to themselves.
















William Hogarth
  for Samuel Butler
Hudibras confronting
  Sidrophel & Whacum
1726







No comments:

Post a Comment