Saturday, December 11, 2010

Saturday commute viii

We are absolutely and utterly completely not ready for this. We are so off-the-charts unready, that vertigo, which we don't know, threatens to tip us over the ledge of this plastic balustrade and into an Escherite pit of pure, appalling clawing for our purse.


This Wagnerian Venusberg, this dystopian cockpit poured from Fritz Lang, has been created only to strip us and flail us and drain us on some pretext of delight. No one lives here. No dogs walk by on lead, no birds excite the air, no corner lets us take a turn to stop and share a kiss. Who thought of this? Who dreamt this?
What is my answer to my dog, of how this came to stain his day, in obscenely sprawling solicitation? Gary Cooper turns to his mother in Sergeant York, "What are they a-fightin' fer, Ma?" She puts the skateboard to the ground, "I don't rightly know, Son. I don't rightly know." 


And so we arrive at the banquet for the Armistice in the first reel of Warren Beatty's Reds, where Jack Reed is asked to stand up and discuss the meaning of the war. He rises on the dais, says one word, and promptly takes his seat. "Profits."  

9 comments:

  1. always admire your surralistic commutations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I very much did not want to post in this mode this morning. I happened to run into this picture and felt it would displace happier considerations unless I could dispatch it first. I don't think architects should have to go so hungry as to support this kind of violence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For love of money I have made you a god, to serve and humour me in my darker hours, so that I may be enticed by all that is bright and forever live in happiness! Unknown

    Um I was in a mall this morning and I did not see the young gentleman you have so thoughtfully provided for our viewing pleasure

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooough Laurent!! your hoax has been exposed!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Change shirts, did we? What hoax, you Attic tease? And David, I cannot claim as much governance of Mr Degman's schedule as you suppose. I'm scarcely in command of my own, following his... But if you didn't see him, I hope you ran into our friend at Hibernian Homme, D-H, staging a Busby Berkeley blowout on the bannisters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I meant the digital manipulation... Kerry never went to the mall!
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. yup that me in on the top floor tapping my way down the escalator ;) tap tap tappity tap TAP tap TAP TAP

    ReplyDelete
  8. but with what élan, D-H, doing it backwards...

    ReplyDelete