Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Thinking, too, of the aviator

Snarls in transit, in temperate zones of both sides of the equator these days, are the least of weather's message of how little can divide winter from summer in such times. We find this a difficult perception to absorb, even from the viewpoint of viticulture, conspicuously vulnerable to meteorological sur-prise, as it is. 


I don't think it's a mistake to think of Moby-Dick's narrative of these extremes, and of the meaning of their endurance. The project of gaining a living feels upbraided as an immodest act, a Promethean sort of gesture, generosity and love mingling unintentionally with pride. A balance in the motives is continuously contested, whether or not one thinks this proper or makes reverent excuses for it. The aviator - call him, Ishmael - endures his down-time, world-wide; and yet when chaos afflicts the ground, we do not think of him, and have two choices left: to blame the white whale in the skies, who broods and beg-gars all belief in his obstruction of his flight, or the Ahab of global neg-ligence we know.







Photograph, Verbier, Tassos Paschalis

9 comments:

  1. The weather patterns seem incresingly extreme from no matter where you happen to stand on terra firma on this planet. This may be a reflection on our states of mind as members of the human race. Laying blame is not the answer, but one must look within.

    I have noticed of late an interesting pseudonym when referring to yours truly. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, Dink, we had some testimony about the weather and you - before this court was convened, but perhaps you heard it - and I've been meaning to ask how many toms are needed for their beat beat beat to be beaten enough for the jungle shadows to fall, so the drip drip drip of the raindrops can frevvinsakes give us a break. The inquest on causation can leave no stone unturned, and I gotta tell ya, Toms, you're a prime suspect, with all the flying you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since I am a prime suspect, can I be so bold as to enquire if there are any lesser suspects. One would hope that illustrious company would be involved.

    The bush telegraph is waiting for an answer via the beat of the drum

    ReplyDelete
  4. Certainly you may not inquire! We have you under very expensive surveillance, and the last thing we can afford is for you to invite them in for coffee and tell them there might be other sails in the same rigging. However, if you were to stand under a street lamp and hiss, "Pequod!" into every passing ear, you'd know them as the ones who failed to accept your offer.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If this will be the case the copy of le figaro I am carrying at the moment has been delegated to the trash, and the carnation I am wearing will be given to some poor eugenie who just happens to be passing by. Let the games begin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ho wow, you're cleared! They've been tailing a rosenkavalier carrying Die Zeit. Well, that's good news for us, for narrowing it down, but bad news for you, because the innocent always pay out of pocket for a false prosecution where we come from. Still, I suppose if you're on the shorts, we could find you guilty of something . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to say that I've loved your blog. I've come here through a post about James Bowman (that I adore by the way!). Excuse my english, I'm from Barcelona, Spain and I still write better french and catalan! Well, thank you for the beauty and the excellence of your posts.



    WF

    ReplyDelete
  8. And pray may ask oh puppeteer what am I to do with all those copies of Pravda that I have acquired for this purpose?

    ReplyDelete
  9. David, "the South shall rise again." You may read them aloud to its commissars.

    WF, thank you for coming, and for coming forth. You have the advantage of readers who have to endure my English, so please feel very welcome.

    ReplyDelete