Thursday, December 27, 2018

Graham Greene, "The Lost Childhood"


I remember distinctly the suddenness
with which a key turned in a lock
and I found I could read .. All a
long summer holiday I kept my secret,
as I believed: I did not want anybody
to know that I could read. I suppose
I half consciously realized even then
that this was the dangerous moment.



      



    I expunge the stain of
    remembering the Little
    Father and his Czarina
    beneath the White House
    Christmas trees, toying
    with children's dreams -

    as I recall a fragment
    from an essay in plain
    sight of every visitor
    to my home, every day  -

    who lets one trust the
    lessons we must learn.



















Graham Greene
The Lost Childhood
  and Other Essays
Viking, 1951©







No comments:

Post a Comment