Sunday, September 1, 2019

Moving again, accommodating staff




I do wonder, why we read so little
nowadays in our interior design per-
iodicals, of the problems of accom-
modating household staff. Even the
architecture websites, for all their
endless regard for second and third
residences, inexplicably pay almost
no attention to this apparent after-
thought of domestic planning. We en-
joy the most exhaustive support for
our selection of paints, and natur-
ally of fabrics, so I wonder why a
nod to the sub-domestic necessities
is almost nowhere to be found. I im-
agine, our people's lack of a trade
association or union - constituent
features, these days, of so-called
stakeholders -- may play some part
in their invisibility, despite the
best efforts of the Social Security
Administration. For all the wear and
tear upon one's own decision-making
powers in the laying out of various
rooms, I cannot recall so much as a
moment of concern in my present move
for accommodating a valet, and yet
when now I examine my plans, I note
only some fuzzy assumptions about
storage space and walk-in closets,
which I suppose have always served.

I'm fortunate, I suppose, in derma-
otological advice to avoid a con-
servatory at my age, and in a lack
of need for fur storage since the
invention of ersatz fleece, so I'm
less concerned about my negligence
than merely mildly embarrassed. At
least the pictures have their walls.



























No comments:

Post a Comment