Monday, July 29, 2019

Nine over 10


What is the religion
of the Italians?

They are Roman Cath-
olics.

What do the Roman
Catholics worship?

Idols and a piece
of bread.

Would not God be
very angry if He
knew that the It-
alians worshipped
idols and a piece
of bread?

God is very angry.





Recalling that on this date, in
2010, I started writing red mug
blue linen on the pretext of be-
ing under development, I'm heart-
ened to notice that although the
blog has appeared over 10 years,
it is still only nine years old.

I don't know why, but I feel this
is a sign that there's still time
for it. Meanwhile, the dialogue
borrowed above, from a Christmas
Cracker anthology by John Julius
Norwich, can stand for two impres-
sions I've never tried to subdue:
that I'm lucky in what I admire -
worship being a condition which
has discredited itself too much
for emulation, in this land in
which I write - and that what I
do is no more than superfluously
disadvantageous in God's eyes.

But this is to address only one
of the senses. As in the famil-
iar Summer towel, drying on the
rack at such length, one or an-
other of the unblinking senses
may question the freshness of
the thing. This consideration
is akin to fretting the opinion
of God, when He is an audience
I haven't pretended to address.




Flippant as this defense may be,
it deflects a hovering smell in
the air of public comment today,
of an antagonistic struggle for
the soul of the nation. We hear
a gruesome trumpet on all sides,
from Falwell's Liberty Univer-
sity, to Joseph Biden's latest
postures for the Presidency, to 
Pulitzer columnists flogging
us to do the right thing. It's
a hideous abuse of any concept
of liberty, by the foulest
simplifications and reductions
of political importuning, this
grab at the autonomous soul, to
the telling neglect of bread.

Something strikes me as malfunc-
tional in addressing each other,
to remonstrate as if grievances
endow anyone with divine judgment.
Now we are challenged to make mer-
cy popular, and who will grow it?




A student rejects this cant with
grateful resort to invigorating
refreshment in the assets of the
senses. Here I take delight in a
picture I acquired with the trade
artist of clarity and strength. I
think of the senses in development,
and admire the company of being.























More Christmas Crackers
  being ten commonplace
  selections, 1980 - 1989
Viking, 1990©











No comments:

Post a Comment