Friday, January 28, 2011

An untraceable correspondent wrote in with sadly running nostrils


We had our remedial hands full last evening, with the discovery that Whit was off his feed with a squirrel-y tummy (we do not use the term lightly, here), and that at this page, someone had been saddened to learn there were guys, discussed. I give you the rarity of these distempers as proof of a comparatively sound nutritional program, on the whole; but whereas even in distress, Whitty has gorgeous, big black eyes, our interlocutor had brooded mainly on how to inflict one. A naughty venue for trifling with complaints, this is, considering its ample scale of deficiency.


That was Gstaad, by the way, back there, in case an objection is lodged for relevancy. Think, ample scale, and it should help. But we cite the Tiger Run for its aspect of play, the page's raison d'être in tribute to the archetype it habitually discusses. Here, verbatim, is the indictment:




I imagine there would be quite an uproar if a heterosexual male [sic] were to place gratuitous pictures of women alongside ambiguous, circular, and often merely lovely words strung together without a singular [sic] well thought out message. Would it be viewed as poetry? As art? I wonder.


We are looking upon the semblance of a consciousness aggrieved, feeling unbefriended, by assertions the page has never uttered. We know the reflex well; it's the sound of what the clinicians refer to as homo---ual panic, and is rehearsed from quarterdecks to playing grounds with sniffings of bourgeois indignation. To our left, the plaintiff pleads so evocatively that it's a wonder, he resorts to words. But it isn't for this page's larksome mode that we would rally readers to his aid: it's to recall the tiresome prevalence of the placement of gratuitous pictures of women alongside unthinking messages, that we urge his friends to haul him to the corner grocery.


In fellowship - for who among us, has not felt the sociable tug of bigotry, or sought the shield of hauteur? - we offer him a head, if not the one he came for. Readers must be consoled to know there is at least one perspective on this gratuitous construction which does his noble work. Let the sniffles of his seizure find subsidence in the sword, the descent he must prefer in such treach-erous terrain. He should linger awhile, averting his gaze from this bit of spoof-ery on tummy or that tacky attachment of incendiary entrapment. You never know: a tourist may fumble, Medusa may grumble - they're only in the way. The guy is here to stay. 








Gstaad 
Paschalis, 2009


Unbefriended, undated
Dale Johnson via Lionel André


Perseus, Loggia dei lanzi
Cellini, ca 1550



12 comments:

  1. Cute rhyme at the end - Nashian, I'd say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pure happenstance of Gershwinnic plunder; one needs to take care to plead nolo contendere to indictment for poetry. But nice of you to take some enjoyment for your pains in visiting. One does feel bad for the tourists with their hands in their pockets, but Medusa's valour under the circumstances is laudable, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "A relief from many things, humour is assuredly the best defense against beauty, as anyone who listens to Mozart will tell you better than I."
    Where did I read this?
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I picked up this 'blithe spirit' in your work, but I haven't yet mastered your proof of humour's defense OF beauty. On the other hand, I haven't yet had occasion to require it.. But this is not merely resistance to beauty, it's envy of play. Perseus is good for a game of those darts.

    Thanks for citing my favourite recent entry.

    Best to your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peseus is good, but Laurent is the maître!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw the comment that one refers to and must say that you have risen to the occasion, while still remaining a gentleman!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear David, No one is a gentleman who isn't felt by his adversary to be one, and I did not even apply for admission to that School in this posting. As the previous commentator remarked, in his infallible, indirect advice, I quit with cuts. I respect your kindness - need it - but so does he (or she, sentimental about a forthright rosenkavalier). I sometimes think the blog reflects the stages of a span of life, and I'm sometimes frustrated by its pace. I envy you your driver's license! :)

    Thanks for your regard and advice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have come here time and again, as you well know, and we have sparred in the back pages as well-I always find myself thinking here. This is why I return. I look for something I don't know what or why sometimes- to understand what I Know in theory from many years of beautiful gentle men passing through my life, yet still we must understand it all. I consider myself quite well educated here time, and again, for that you must stay. I hope Whit is on the uptick!

    ReplyDelete
  9. & though I have often said to you here and behind the door- the photographs are sometimes a distraction-an eye is an eye- regardless of the "lien"- that is for me- also to acquire discipline, of a sort. pgt

    ReplyDelete
  10. The photographs are a problem in tending to marginalise the page, but one is seriously trying (although not every time) over the long haul to dissolve their unintended exclusionary effect by exhibiting the familiarity beneath them. This "city of coffee" point of view has been stated (the search engine will dig it out, I believe); and in the meantime, there is the aspect of the "lark" one tends to celebrate, for benign balance of some things. That said, one would greatly prefer not to deny the pictures' spark to the mind, if only (often) for parody, in the original sense of the term.

    We exchanged remarks about this before the page even opened. I did say, this would be an aspect of its character. In retrospect, I think themes of persistent tacit recurrence were introduced too soon and left to vanish from explicitness, and I think quantity of entries has distorted the theme somewhat. "Sometimes a distraction" might mean, a distraction owing to frequency.

    Thank you for the critique. Thank you extremely for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i attended boarding school near 'staad'....ritzy shops...i was in villar-sur-ollon..shite shops

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Anon, into every life a little compromise must fall - or you'd surely not be found in THESE parts. But you happen to have intervened at what seems to have been an important conversation for the page. Here's hoping for fewer dichotomies in what shopping days remain for you. :)

    ReplyDelete