Friday, August 23, 2013

Suppose it were Friday lxxvi: It's fair to wonder


Mes anciens





    I sit here in a shelter
      behind the words
    Of what I'm writing,
      looking out as if
    Through a dim curtain of rain,
      that keeps me in here.

    The words are like a scrim
      upon a page,
    Obscuring what might be there
      beyond the scrim.
    I can dimly see there's something
      or someone there.

    But I can't tell if it's God,
      or one of his angels,
    Or the past, or future,
      or who it is I love,
    My mother or father lost,
      or my lost sister.

    Or my wife lost when I was
      too late to get there,
    I only know that there's something,
      or somebody, there.
    Tell me your name. How was it
      that I knew you?






    Mr Ferry's translations of Virgil
    and Horace enrich a Western mind's
    experience of life. To classicists
    they enable several layers of com-
    panionship, and for readers without
    Latin, only one or two less. At the
    same time, the publication of this
    collection of his own poetry strikes
    a sort of coup de foudre, in which
    an elating part of their challenge
    lies in revealing, as Ford Madox
    Ford has put it, that a man could
    stand up. For English speakers this
    is scrupulously and modestly, not
    showily or shallowly shorn of al-
    lusion to other glory, other times.
    The humble can understand it; we
    others are welcome to lay our bur-
    den down. This is original and gor-
    geous, as if its balsamic qualities 
    were infused with new wine, and its 
    flickering interwoven with the ages.


               I know such eyes that look so far,
               I follow them to parse the grit 
               they blink away. 
               It is not enough for me, to know 
               there is a further sight, without 
               citing who would give it in his gaze.

               But admiring is remembering, while
               learning is differentiating, dis-
               tinguishing, and inconvenient. How
               do they persist, as if for me?  
               I always wonder.


























David Ferry
Scrim

Bewilderment
  New Poems and
  Translations

i    Ben Eidem
ii   Winchimes Cypress Point
iii  Jacob Wiechmann






No comments:

Post a Comment