Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Hard going



   Likewise the human champions until
   Patroclus' spear nosed past Sarpedon's busy heart
   And the ground sense in his body leached away.





   Even multi-millionaire entertainers in a
   racket strangling on corruption know the
   game they're bred to mime may come true.


   You are the same age as my son.
   He worships you. Ask him,
   That boy will follow you through arrowfire like rain.
   My sticks are cut.
   It is my place to tell you right from wrong.
     Far better men than you have seen the sky
   And I have fought beside, and saved, their like;
   And I have fought against, and killed, their like;
   And when the fight is done I let
   Those standing know how victors act ..




















Christopher Logue
An Account of Books I-IV and
  XVI-XIX of Homer's 'Iliad'
Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 1991©

Marcos Brindicci, Reuters
The New York Times
July 8, 2014©










No comments:

Post a Comment