Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Who awoke today, and will forget this?






Republicans downplayed the im-
plications, saying Ossoff ben-
efitted from a cocktail of mon-
ey, national attention and en-
thusiasm that's nearly impos-
sible to replicate.

Atlanta Journal-Constitution
April 19, 2017





Yes, I think I've seen that
cocktail before, somewhere.
It's a pity, they can't rec-
ognize it, but its ingredi-
ents explain why: they also
have all the money needed,
to express the freedom of
speech their Supreme Court
bestowed upon it; they al-
so have all the enthusiasm
of a sense of cause in re-
sistance. What they got a-
way with, was a national
disbelief whose attention
was deflected by the man-
fest preposterousness of
their hallucinations, and
revulsion with their deal-
er. It had lacked decorum
to see them straight.

Now that they've been be-
trayed, now that they've
betrayed themselves, who
among them will forget?




               So two nights passed: the night's dismay
               Saddened and stunned the coming day.
               Sleep, the wide blessing, seemed to me
               Distemper's worst calamity.
               The third night, when my own loud scream
               Had waked me from the fiendish dream,
               O'ercome with sufferings strange and wild,
               I wept as I had been a child;
               And having thus my tears subdued
               My anguish to a milder mood,
               Such punishments, I said, were due
               To natures deepliest stained with sin, -
               For aye entempesting anew
               The unfathomable hell within
               The horror of their deeds to view,
               To know and loathe, yet wish to do! 
               Such griefs with such men well agree,
               But wherefore, wherefore fall on me?
               To be beloved is all I need,
               And whom I love, I love indeed.



















Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Selected Poetry
  [fragment]
ca 1803, published 1815
H.J. Jackson
  editor
Oxford University Press, 1997©


ii, iii  Jonathan Ossoff
          Walsh School
            of Foreign Service
          London School
            of Economics
         Candidate for US Congress
           6th District, Georgia









No comments:

Post a Comment